- Sad eyes
- Sudden outbursts of crying
- Staring off into a distance
- Long telephone conversations with abuelita
- Repetitive speech " I want to go home" "I wish we could go home" "Can't we go home?"
(Between you and me, I don't get that last one, isn't her home here with papi and me?)
I've heard this illness is very common and everyone has it at least once. I must have been vaccinated against it, because so far, I haven't had this homesickness mami talks about.
Why doesn't she just go to the GP like when I'm sick? Silly mami, I think she want to ride it out.
From what I can see, there are more serious cases and sometimes you just get a small virus. She says "this time of year is the worst for homesickness".
And I hope it's not contagious because I don't want to catch homesick too. Come to think of it, papi doesn't seem to have caught it, so I should be safe. Phewwwww!
Here's what I recommend
- Take Calpol before bed and take every 4 hours as needed. Always works for me!
- Lots of kisses and hugs from papi and I
- A long nap. I always feel a little better after a good sleep
- Have a bottle of warm milk or coffee, I know how much you like drinking that
- Keep the special picture I made for you with glitter close by. I know how much you like sparkly stuff!
This post was written by Maria, a US expat living in the UK. She blogs at Mummy's Busy World.